2.5' downpipe vs. 3' downpipe

Andris Laivins andris@monkey-r.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:15:32 -0500

personally, I'd go with a 2.5" bend off the turbine, and then a
smooth transition up to 3" after the first bend.  The turbine
Exducer/turbine housing outlet is 2.5" I.D., and it will be much
easier to work on the car.  Notching the 3" tube will work, but I
don't think you will gain much in terms of flow, but it will be a
pain in the ass to work on the car.  I've done notched bolt
clearances like that on tubes before, and it's not fun at all.  Of
course, there is Mike's thread about missing power from a 2.5
downpipe, but he's talking about a full-length 2.5 DP - I think a
short length of it off the turbine will be acceptable.  Plus, the
step from the flange out to a 3" tube will be fairly turbulent.  (I'd
think) .  Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Andris