5th gear snap ring (Not popout problem)

Jay Stewart jay@nx2k.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 07:42:08 -0500

Let me make something clear:

Don't ask for help, then complain when you don't get the answer that you
wanted to hear.

Moving on:

> Fifth gear trashed?!? How can you make that assumption based
> on those pics?

It ate away your case dude, That's bad. Use it if you want, I would
replace it. Those gears were riding against each other putting pressure
on the case, spinning at several thousand RPM without being held in
properly. Take it apart and look, not sure why you haven't yet.

> Alright Jay while there are people who give bad advice EVEN
> IN PERSON, you can't categorize the forums as nothing but
> misinformation.

Well that advice was stupid. I call it like I see it and that was dumb.
That sort of stuff is rampant on the forums. Here there are enough guys
with real knowledge to be able to tell you what is correct or not,
there, it's the blind leading the blind.

> You win if you can explain why
> this is such a dumb idea...

That's an easy one. How many transmissions has Nissan sold with a clip
like that? 100,000? More? (Hint, all recent Nissan manual trannies have
a clip like that.) How many come apart by themselves? I have only seen
that happen twice, ever.

Let me make sure this sunk in, so I will say it again:

Don't ask for help, then complain when you don't get the answer that you
wanted to hear.

-Jay

PS This problem is exactly what I told you that you would find a few
weeks ago when we talked about it.