5th gear snap ring (Not popout problem)

Thomas Reynolds fthomasr@bellsouth.net
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 19:56:34 -0500

Jay wrote:
> Clip is only half, like a "C". From the pics it looks like the clip is
> still in the groove.

The clip is not in the groove.

>Start here:
>http://nx2k.dynip.com/thumbs/fsm_web/pages/a16.htm

Thanks but I already own the FSM as well. I have perused over it on this for
quite some time.

>Replace 5th gear, all of it, it's trashed. Replace the case too if you
>want the job done properly.

Fifth gear trashed?!? How can you make that assumption based on those pics?
I haven't even torn 5th down to examine the baulk ring or the engagement
teeth on the gear.

>Exactly why I don't bother reading the forums.

Alright Jay while there are people who give bad advice EVEN IN PERSON, you
can't categorize the forums as nothing but misinformation. Some could say
the same for say, Mike Jez's info at times (no offense Mike.) Just like
anything else you make an educated opinion on what you hear. You sound
EXACTLY like my head shop guy who rolls his eyes as too ANYTHING found
online, mailing lists included. He also adds books to this list of
unreliable sources.

So I'll bite here. My reasoning that the cryo treating idea sounded
'plausible' is because of the fact that you cryo the gearset it's
strengthens it, so metal is metal so why not apply this to a snap ring? You
win if you can explain why this is such a dumb idea...

Thomas