Goodbye mailing list.

Nilsson, Zak Zak.Nilsson@latimes.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:23:58 -0500

I, too, haven't been an active poster on this list for quite a while
now. But I read it every day... usually a few times a day I check
 my mail for it. Larry, you're exactly right about the forums, and
 how they hinder the flow of a conversation - but that's exactly
 why I'm still on this mailing list, and I suspect why so many
 others are too. As others have mentioned, this is one of the
 cleaner mailing lists out there, and it would be a great loss
 to me personally if this list were to shut down. I understand
 your reasoning, but I have to throw my vote in for keeping the
 list going as well. This is where I get a lot of good information,
 and like you, the way the information flows here just suits me
 better.

I mean, you know I've been on the SE-R list since before you took
 it over... somewhere around 8 years now I think. And while it was
 great before, your involvement has definitely been the best thing
 that ever happened to the SE-R community. This list was indeed
 the center of the online SE-R universe, for years. Now the focus
 is changing, it's shifted to online forums somewhat... but nothing
 has changed the fundamental usefulness of this mailing list, nor
 its importance to us old timers and newbies alike - even people
 who just joined this list seem to recognize how much easier it is
 to get information here, as opposed to the online forums.

We've got a lot of highly knowledgable people still subscribed here
 that don't hit the forums, and I believe that this list is still one of
 the best places to ask SE-R related questions. God knows I still
 learn things here, this list is just loaded with people I admire and
 respect. Of course there's the nostalgia issues... very nearly
 everybody I know in the SE-R community, I met on this list first.
 Including you.  :) I would love the list to stick around as an old fart
 list too, but I still think it's a lot more useful and prominent than
 that.

I think specifically because this list is so orderly and straightforward,
 we're still going to get people subscribing who recognize those
 qualities and appreciate them. Who knows when the next Rob Cadle
 or George Roffe will subscribe? It's like this place is an oasis of
 rational and intelligent discussion, in an ocean of illiterate newbies
 spewing garbage like "Y yUO nOt lIKe my BOddEE KITT yO itS
 mAD pHat!!111!  My WinG IZ 7 FEeT tALL!!!!11"

I don't think that should be available to old farts only. I still believe
 that there are lots of people out there who are smarter than 5th
 graders, looking for a nice place to hang out and talk cars on the
 internet... and I believe that this is one of those places, and that
 it still has its place among the forums and everything else.

Anyway, I'll get off the soapbox now, it's getting a little worn out.
 But no matter what happens, thanks for running the list for so
 long and for so well, Larry - I'm pretty sure I can speak for
 everybody (well maybe not Naji) when I say we appreciate
 everything you've done.

-Zak Nilsson
Professional Weirdo
Old Fart