Boots for GC setup

Ivan Chou ichou@sdf.lonestar.org
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:46:18 -0500

Jason wrote:

> That's a great question, I've been wondering the same thing.  For those
> who live in areas that get snow for 3 or 4 months a year, that salt and
> sand that they put on the roads can be rather hard on a nice coilover

Aside from the stock dust boots, another option is the KYB dust boot,
which happens to include an integrated bumpstop.  I ordered these from the
Tire Rack for $10 each, s/h was about $8 for all 4.  I already installed
one set on our Maxima with KYB GR2 struts, and they were substantially
thicker than the OEM boots, feels similar to a CV boot.  I definitely
would not leave the shafts exposed.

I wish I could tell you if they fit inside the GCs.  The height should be
fine as the base of the boot straps around the lower shaft housing.

Ivan - '93 SE-R 111k, '95 M3 108k
http://ichou.freeshell.org/se-r.html