lowering

spdracer@mail.utexas.edu spdracer@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:27:51 -0500

>heat the springs with> several blow torches, and then slowly lower the car >
>back down> to the desired level and let the springs cool.

By heating the springs to get them more ductile, then letting them cool, you'll
change the microstructure of the metal.  You'll probably end up with this
structure called coarse pearlite which is more ductile (and therefore has a
lower yield strength I think...) and "tougher" than what the metal was
originally.  BUT, my guess is this extra ductility/lower yield strength will
cause the springs to sag eventually.

Khiem