The Glen

? grailer@yifan.net
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 09:27:48 -0500

"George Roffe" <geo3@earthlink.net> wrote:

  > Holy cats!  Are you talking about through the esses?

The interesting thing (other WGI drivers can chime in here...) I've found is
that whatever my speed at the top of the esses, going onto the back straight,
is, I won't pick up but more than a few MPH before braking for the bus stop.
Once you top out of the esses, the track is still climbing. You really don't
notice this until you've done a track walk. So, a speed of 125mph at the top of
the esses is pretty reasonable actually - my (relatively) stock SR20DE is
hitting about 120mph at the top of the esses since I'm in the low- to mid-120s
before braking just before the bus stop.

Higher horsepower street cars (e.g., E46 M3s, 911 turbos, etc.) can hit close to
150mph before the bus stop, which means they're close to that coming out of the
esses too.

No doubt about it, The Glen's a fast, horsepower track. Interestingly enough
though, my average speed at The Glen is pretty close to Mosport, which (aside
from the long, uphill back straight) is not known as a horsepower track, but
rather a technical, handling track. Mosport's also a mile shorter.

Carson M. Hanrahan                        '91 Classic w/the usual stuff
"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss