Flywheels and pulleys

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 21:31:15 -0500

cowboydren@b15sentra.net wrote:

>Lightened?  Yuck.  Call me a perfectionist, but I *much* prefer the idea
>of using a flywheel that was meant to be light, not one that was made
>light.

Before you start going off JP, you should at least look at the bloody link.

>With several of them in the $300-400 range, I think the piece of
>mind is worth it...but I smoke a lot of bananas.

Put down the banana and step away from the car.....

Check the link.

That said, a properly lightened stock flywheel is a perfectly good budget
option.  I would not do a clutch job without at least getting the flywheel
lightened (if I couldn't spring for a low mass flywheel).  Of course, I
have a great shop to do it for only $75 including resurfacing and
balancing.  Don't anybody ask however, I won't get them done for you.  I've
had problems in the past.  Hmmm....  I wonder where my spare is come to
think of it.

>A light flywheel, safety issues aside, is a light flywheel.  The lower
>the mass, the harder it'll be to get going from a standing start, but
>the quicker the crank will spin up/down, and the easier it will be to
>rev-match your shifts.  What's more important to you?

There is no problem getting away from a standing start with a lightened OEM
flywheel or even a "proper" low mass flywheel.  Take off the bloody skirt
man.  My wife (*not* an enthusiast) drives our turbo G20 every day with the
JWT low mass flywheel and that's with a DET which has low compression and
less power and torque off boost.  Before the DET we had a lightened OEM
flywheel in the DE.  All it takes is a few more revs to get the momentum of
the flywheel up.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>