The QR25 is strange.

Joshua Gary ewraven@hotmail.com
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 00:44:28 -0500

I've got 13k miles on my SE-R Spec V now.  I drove the car 650 miles to
Memphis 12 days ago.  When I got to Memphis; I checked the oil after letting
it sit for a few hours and with it on level ground(in a carport).  The
dealer had overfilled it by about 1/8 of a quart.  When I checked it; it was
down to the full mark on the dipstick.  This sounds funnny; but, I really
doubt the car has some sort of mechanism that puts out oil when it is
overfilled.  Today, I got back home around 4pm after driving back the 650
miles.  Tonight, at around 10:55; I checked the oil again with it sitting in
the apartment parking lot.  It was still at the same mark it was at, once
I'd gotten to Memphis.  I must've checked it at least five times while I was
in Memphis and it was the same every time.  I checked it several times
because it sometimes gives really unusual readings.  I'll pull out the
dipstick sometimes and there will be oil three or four inches above the full
mark with a big gap in between there and the full mark.  I'll check it again
after driving it and the oil level will be back to normal.

The really strange thing is; the last time I drove it to Memphis(around 5k
miles on the odometer), it lost 1/8 of a quart on the way up there and none
on the way back(it had been filled to about halfway point between the full
and low marks).  The first time I went up there in the Spec V was when it
had 60 miles on the odometer; it was the day after I bought it back in
November.  It didn't consume a drop on the way up there or on the way back.

So, the only time it's used oil was the last two times I drove the 650 miles
to Memphis.  It's never used any oil other than those two times.  I check
the oil fairly often too and always let it sit for at least two hours before
checking it.

I know this small amount of oil usage is nothing to worry about; although I
am a little disgruntled that my "Nissan" uses oil.  I just find it odd that
it is so random.  I would think if oil was getting past the rings; it would
happen all the time?

On the trip, I got 32, 31, 27(this one included city driving) and a pretty
good 34 mpg at one point.  The car drove great.  I just had the cruise set
at the speed limit 99% of the way.  I think that explains the good mileage.

Joshua
98 Frontier 2wd KA24DE with the dreadful truck Cam
02 Sentra SE-R Spec V(13k miles and no performance mods yet)