Weird-ass Drag Racing Questions

cowboydren@b15sentra.net cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 19:18:52 -0500

Okay, so I've read about drag racing on SE-R.net.  I know a thing or two
about the physics behind it, and I'm learning about my car's
straight-line envelope (at sane speeds under pretty safe conditions).  I
have two questions, though, one more complicated than the other:

Launch Control:

Taking the advice in the articles, I've started trying to find the ideal
launch RPM for my engine, gearing, and tires.  Anything below 2000 RPM
seems to bog too quickly (I'm a little quick releasing the clutch), and
anything over 2500 RPM makes the tires howl and squall like a wounded
dog.  Sounds like that's a good point for me to launch around, eh?  I
know that the track I'll be visiting (KCIR in Kansas City) is notorious
for slick spots and marbles, so this speed may vary a little, and my
launch technique and speed will vary accordingly.

Is there any way, though, to make RPM control at launch easy?  Big boys
in big money classes use throttle stops and stuff like that to keep the
plates from opening more than a set amount at launch.  I just want
something tactile to make it easier to keep my foot from using too much
or not enough travel to set to 1700 or 2100 or 2450 RPM or whatever.
Any ideas that would pass a tech inspection? ;)

Shift Points:

I know that running the engine all the way to redline to shift probably
isn't the best way to get the best ETs and MPH.  The question is, at
what RPM should the clutch be reingaged?  I know that in the first few
gears, depending on the gear, I can pretty much dial in any reentry
point, for instance getting back to 4000 or 4200 RPM when the next gear
is grabbed.  Where should that point be?  At the torque peak?  At the
midpoint between the torque and RPM peak?  Where?  Am I making this too
complicated again?

--
-=|JP|=-        "It's like a koala crapped a rainbow in my brain..."

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |