Torque Load, i.e. motor mounts

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 22:02:24 -0500

Mark, hlava wrote:

>I'm probably just being anal, but...

I wouldn't touch that with a 3 meter cattle prod. ;-)

>To make a long story short: I've noticed, either here or on one of the
>forums, that the replacement mount for the firewall for a '91 Classic has
>different/larger spacings in it.

Really?

I wasn't aware of that.

>But the ES inserts that you can buy for your car are designed to fit the
>new OEM part and not the old.

Holy cats.  If that's right, that would explain a lot.

>Now, I had the biggest biatch of a time getting the torque mount in... of
>course now realizing that the inserts were not made for the original
>mount, still managed to shove them in and up.

If it's any consolation, you're certainly not the first to do this.  There
have been a few right in my driveway.  Hehe, Marc Hernandez was using the
jack to jam it in there and started lifting the car off the bloody jack
stands.  Talk about scary!

>I'm assuming that this will make that particular mount that much
>stiffer  and am also assuming that it will place a larger "load" on the
>dogbone mount. Is it possible that this is going to cause some load
>imbalance and create some problems down the road?

I don't think so, but I'm a monkey and could be very wrong.  I just haven't
heard of anyone having mount failure when running the ES mounts.

I wouldn't worry about it.  Folks have been using these for a few years now
and if it *does* become a problem, I think you will hear about it long
before it's a problem for your car.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>