Altima Master Cylinder

Boonrat Lohwongwatana boonrat@caltech.edu
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 21:10:38 -0500

For the archives:

I was searchin the archives for information regarding the master cylinder
upgrade. Most of the hits I got were questions -- not answers to the
problem. So after more searching into the topics, I hope this email will
help other people in the future when they search for the same topic.

As you might have realized that SMC big brake kit that utilizes the bigger
bore Altima master cylinder. Here's the part number from Greg at Mossy
Nissan (thanks Greg!): Altima M/C with no ABS: 46010-2B100. However, Steve
removed/replaced o-ring(s) in the cylinder to get better brake
proportionality. Sorry I don't know much about this so I cannot comment
further.

Morevoer, I was concerning if my car (NX2000) that came equipped already
with AD22VF brakes in the front and stock in the rears MIGHT NOT like the
new brake proportionality from the Altima cylinder, ie, I might lock the
rear brakes way earlier than the fronts. Upon further searching into 1993
Altima FSM, the brake pressures are the SAME as the NX2000 master cylinder
which is 5394 kPa in the fronts, and 2452-2844 kPa in the rear. So, you
will not run into such problem.

So, is it worth upgrading? I don't think the effect will be pronounced, if
any. The only difference between them would be the play which reflects the
different in the amount of brake fluid being pushed when you step on the
brake pedal. Larger bore (1/16" larger, IIRC) Some people say about the
brake modulation which is better. But I cannot comment on that "feeling"
issue since my NX cylinder was leaking before I change it, and the price
for the both cylinders are pretty much the same. So I went with the
larger one.

Boonie