5 mph rear end accident causes tons of damage......(kinda long)

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 23:21:55 -0500

Probe Dude wrote:

>Given the forces the clutch sees during normal operation (1,000's of rpms,
>engagement forces, heat, clamping forces, etc) I cannot see how a rear ender
>would ever damage a clutch.  There's a lot of absorbing 'stuff' between the
>engine and the rear impact point.  Jody would be in a hospital before the
>clutch ever broke.

Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  I'm certainly not saying this *was* the cause.  I
was only saying it *could* be the cause.  Who knows?  You never know what
forces the clutch might see, and at the wrong time as well - especially
considering the weight assembly on the CF clutch.

>That said - wasn't there a thread about the poor quality of Centerforce
>clutches in general?

Yes indeedy.  And you are correct that this could very well be the
cause.  Sorry if I made it sound like I thought the impact *was* the fault
rather than *could* be the cause.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>