ECU Tuning as per Down Under

Peter Jackson jacksopc@earthlink.net
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 19:51:40 -0500

OK, I was one digest behind, probably still am.

Chris Pronios wrote:
> 1. We are talking about engine-tuning here. Using someone else's map is the
> same as noting what type of jets someone used in his carburetors and using

I have no problem with modification of the ecu in your own car. It is
also ok to swap any modified programs you have made yourself.
But ecu code isn't 'visible' like carb and tire settings.

>are not copying Microsoft's last program
> and using it for your business.

This is what I am concerned about, hence my reference to purchasing a
pirated code ecu.

> Most> racecar tuners there offer their version of tuned ECUs by doing exactly what> the DIYer can do.

Yes, they create there own modifications to the ecu, I'll bet they don't
just hand over maps to competitors.

> doubt they will soon go after the tuners for using copyrighted material.
> After all, ALL the tuners using the stock ECU as a base start with the
> Nissan base maps and then modify.

I tend to agree with this, but notice what you are saying.
That the tuners made their own modifications to the code.

> follow the "clean-room" approach followed by the S/W industry to
> legitimately recreate SW program with identical functionality with
> Clean and legitimate "white-room" functionality recreation.

If they do the work, they deserve the benefits. Black box decoding is
work.

> anything can be done legitimately.

Exactly! It is the support of those who don't do it legitimately that I
wanted to bring up.

I think we mostly agree on things, but there are always details.

Peter J