ECU Tuning as per "Down Under"

Chris Pronios hpro@b-link.gr
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:13:34 -0500

Something I forgot for the ECU "tinkerers" in the list.

One of the MOST interesting and juicy part of the Japan/AU DIY boards is
that they use either 2x256kbit or 2x512kbit ROM chips. In the first case you
can store in there 2 different maps while in the 2nd you can actually store
4 maps. They also include with the board a wire+dual switch combo that
allows you to change between the maps while the car is running.

This is huge for the DIYers who do not have to take the chip out for
reprogramming between each change. You can put in there up to 4 slightly
different maps and test all four of them in one session. It is also very
convenient for those that use their car as a daily driver and racing car. We
can have the soft "pass-the-emmision-test" map, the mild "street-map" for
shopping and get arounds, the warm "canyon-drive" map and the hot
"drag-race-or-whatever" map and switch between them at will.

Chris
1992 Sunny 2.0 GTi

(Note: I do not know what exactly a JWT board looks like and how it works.
>From a list member I know htat at least one JWT board has a single 1025kbit
ROM chip on it.)