Transmission Shaft endplay adjustments ?

Rick Warkentien sr20de@sunflower.com
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:39:09 -0500

Finally getting the last of the pieces together to fix my tranny problems but
I have a few questions.
A little first: The vehicle is a 92 SE-R. No serious mods yet, just a CAI. It
has fifth gear popout, which is what I am attempting to fix. Bought a tranny
off a forum member that was in his 200sx. He cracked the case on it from
wheelhop down by the diff area. I want to swap the gearset from the 200sx
(SE-R with LSD btw) into the case from my classic.

Parts I already have:
The gearset and all internal parts out of the 200sx case.
New driveshafts
All new seals
ES shifter bushing kit
ES steering rack kit
Fidanza flywheel
OE nissan disc
OE nissan throwout bearing
OE nissan bearing clips
ACT HD pressure plate
Tranny switches
crossmember rubber bushings and plastic sleeves

#1 Is there anything else you guys can think of that I should do while I am in
there?

#2 I have been reading and re-reading the FSM to get an idea of what kind of
endplay adjustments are on the shafts in the tranny. I found the adjustment
for the mainshaft (the back cover plate is what it looks like to me.) But I
have not found an endplay adjustment for the input shaft?

#3 Are there any other concerns I should have with putting the 200sx gearset
into the earlier case? I would think that since I am not disassembling the
gearset from the 200sx that the clearances on the synchros should still be in
good shape and that the overall gearshaft length should still be good as
well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. And yes, I have looked in the
archives. Most of the tranny stuff I found had to do with the breakage of
third, fifth gear popout, or the quaiffe gearset that never came to be. Didn't
really see anything this in depth in the archive. If its there though, point
me at it and I will be more than happy to read it.

Thanks
Rick Warkentien
Amazed at how much the outlook express spell check sucks. What do ya mean you
don't know what a gearset is?