ECU wiring harness for VE from SR, close, but need some advise

Jason Garrett Young jasongyoung@jacomanufacturing.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 08:07:04 -0500

Objective:  finish the install of an SR16VE (blue) into a '92 se-r

Facts:  the ECU connection on the '92 se-r and the VVL motor are the same,
same amount of pins and they plug in together  (both the older style blue
connector)

Question:  If I use the FSM from the '92 and trace each connector wire to
where it goes, will the VVL ECU and the '92 ECU have the same wires to
perform the same functions on the same place on the ECU pins?

I have the motor in and have the factory VVL harness on the motor with the
ECU, but the ECU does not recognize that it is in the car because of the 2
plugs that are not connected under the dash, oddly, the '92 chassis that I
am putting it into also has 2 connectors that plug into wires coming from
the ECU, such things as fuel pump sendor, check engine light, tach, etc

What I want to do is look at the VVL harness and for example trace a wire
from one of the connectors and see that it goes to pin no. 2 on the ECU,
look at my FSM, see that pin 2 is for the tach and that corresponds to pin 6
on the connector, etc

then, change the connectors and re-solder it

**** what I am not sure of is:  Does Nissan use the same pins on the ECU's
to perform the same functions, or do they change it?  I am thinking that it
is a decent chance that they would be the same location, if so, then this
will be a nice way to do this.
I know that a '93.5 G20 and a '92 se-r, the pins are the same, yet the under
the dash connectors are different, so this seems to yield to my theory, if
Nissan does it for them, then maybe they did it for the VVL as well, but
without a FSM for the VVL, I don't know

at this point, I have fuel pressure and can turn the starter, but the ECU
still needs to see some signals before it will give the car spark

JGY