My car is totaled

John Campbell jcampbel@dfsfin.com
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:07:09 -0500

<They are only offering my 5900$ for my 96 SE-R with 88k miles on it. I
checked>
<the internet and all 96 SE-R's are going for about 7500$ to 8000$>

The insurance co. will only pay ACV, actual cash value. Typically they will
determine ACV by what the car is selling for locally since that is what your
premiums are based on. You will have to check around and see what the local
value is for a car in the same condition. If you can't find any examples
locally then you can try your internet sources. Don't let them try to use
the trade in value as the basis for valuation. You can't buy the car for
trade-in value so they can't use that value. You don't have to use dealer's
prices either, you can present them with private-sale prices as long as the
cars are in the same condition as yours (including miles and options). Don't
settle with them until your satisfied but don't be unreasonable or combative
either, just remember the ol' bees, honey vinegar saying. : )

Good Luck

John Campbell
'99 SE w/ HS stuff