Wheel hop

Raymond A. Kawski sr20de@epix.net
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:43:14 -0500

Maurice Hilarius wrote:

> I have a Spec V, and when I shift hard (mainly in 1st to 2nd)
> and the tires break free, instead of simple tire slip, I am
> getting a fairly bad wheel hop condition. Sometimes it is bad
> enough to hinder steering.

<DoctorSays>Don't shift hard then</DoctorSays>

Seriously there is *NO* need to shift that hard.  Shifting that
hard is causing wheel hop and may eventually break your
transmission.  The Spec V should have a strong enough
transmission to handle it but since there is no benefit to
shifting hard why take the chance.

> I am looking for solutions to make it "hook up" better.
> I know, bigger tires, etc would possibly eliminate the
> tires from breaking free, but I am more interested in a
> suspension solution to stop it from hopping.

As Jay said its not because you don't have enough traction
its too much traction.  Adjusting tire pressure will may help
some.  But the best advice is to stop shifting so hard.  In
the long run your car will thank you for it.

RK