5th gear shifter movement

Thomas Reynolds fthomasr@bellsouth.net
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:37:12 -0500

I have noticed since last weekend that all of a sudden my shifter moves back
and forth when I go on and off the throttle in 5th. It doesn't take much and
it moves. It's about 1/4 to 1/2 movement.

The strange thing is, it doesn't move AT ALL in any other gears including
reverse. I have all stock engine mounts (never replaced, 60k on car now)
with ES dog bone and firewall inserts only. I have a pacesetter short
shifter that is not adjusted extremely low, probably toward middle of
adjustment.

I swear it FEELS like something pushing on the shift lever in that position.
Sort of like the shift rod only comes in contact with whatever it is unless
it's in 5th. I have read in the archives that others noted the same as above
but noone ever posted a solution or explanation. The same goes for the
forums.

I can't imagine its something inside the tranny doing this. (I sure hope not
anyway)

Thomas
'97 200SX SE-R
F-Max Stage II Turbo