Help needed - CV failure?

Wade Jackson srwadet@cs.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:38:42 -0500

I need help identifying a problem in my 96 SE-R.  About a week ago, I
started experiencing a loud "thunking" noise while at light and neutral
throttle.  Accelerating hard or completely lifting off the gas made the
noise disappear.  I feel the noise/vibration in the foot well, and I
think it's coming from the passenger side. I don't feel a vibration in
the steering wheel or shifter.  The frequency of the thunking is about
10 Hertz at highway speeds and varies with road speed.  I've looked
under the car and have not found any signs of interference.  I've pulled
on the wheels and the bearings feel tight (lug nuts tight also).  After
a long drive, the temperature of the front wheels is equal.  I've jacked
up one side and rotated the wheels my hand, and they rotate smoothly.
On my way to work this morning, the thunking changed to an occasional
high pitched metal to metal grinding.  The thunking now will occur
driving slowly straight ahead in the parking lot and sounds like more of
a popping noise.  Also, the thunking is not affected by turning.

The only things that I can think of are wheel bearings, CV, or
transmission.  Any suggestions on trouble shooting?  Can a CV joint fail
in this manner?  It's the only part that really makes sense to me.

The car has 115k miles with lots of track miles on race tires and mostly
all original parts.  In the area of interest, the car has GC coilovers
w/camber plates, HS header, stock front sway bar, and original stock clutch.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  All my cars are not or barely running!

Wade
89 S13 (not running for 2 years - SR20DET project )
93.0 G20 (145k mile with failing original clutch)
96 SE-R (pretty much undriveable now)