Blower switch overheating?!?

Jim Wright wrightj@apple.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:59:15 -0500

This is really starting to bug me.  I've just replaced the blower
switch AGAIN on my '91, this makes about the 4th or 5th time I've had
to do this.  And each time, the old switch is slightly melted from the
heat.  The last time the connector was melted as well and I had to cut
the harness and splice in a new connector.

When I put the new switch in and tested it, it started getting hot
right away, this is on switch position 4, full speed.  Not much heat on
the lower settings, but those go through the resistor pack so that
drops the current down.

Has anyone else ever had problems with their switches melting or being
this hot?  I know it's not something you can check easily but maybe
someone noticed.

I'm almost to the point where I'm considering running a new power line
just for the blower, and wiring in a relay to cut down on the current
that goes through the switch, it seems like a poor design anyway.