Radiator fans not working? Removed your AC?

Lawrence Weeks dev@anabasis.net
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:12:17 -0500

Once upon a time (Wed Aug 21), Jon Hall wrote:

>> So I chop off the plug, connect the wires, and bingo, the fans
>> now turn on when the car gets hot.

> Larry, Maybe it's a normally closed switch? That would be the only
> thing that I could think of. Anyone else have any ideas?

It is normally closed (made), when the AC system is functioning
properly. It is a safety override. When the switch is open, the AC
will not operate.

The thing I find odd is that the fans did not work with the switch
open... why would the ECU fail to turn on the fans if the AC is
malfunctioning/missing? The logic for this is buried inside the ECU,
so the wiring diagrams only explain so much. Eric Waterman said he
didn't have this problem with his absent AC. Strange.

Larry
--
Lawrence Weeks      "Audaces fortuna juvat."      dev@anabasis.net