Radiator fans not working? Removed your AC?

Lawrence Weeks dev@anabasis.net
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:53:07 -0500

Hi,

I was out of the city this weekend, actually did some work on my car...

I removed my AC over the winter. There is a switch, the "dual pressure
switch," which is connected to the receiver/drier. According to the
wiring diagram, that switch is made all the time, unless the pressure
in the AC system is too low or high. The signal goes to the ECU. With
no AC, that switch has been disconnected and was an open circuit in
my car.

So, I notice that the fans aren't working this summer. The car is
overheating in city driving. According to the fan diagnosis in the
FSM, if the car has AC, the test is to engage the AC switch and see
if the fans come on. If so, test done. Seems to me that perhaps the
dual pressure switch is required for the fans to work at all? So I
chop off the plug, connect the wires, and bingo, the fans now turn
on when the car gets hot.

That doesn't make a lot of sense, why would the fans stop working
entirely if the AC has a leak? Oh well, problem fixed at least.

Larry
--
Lawrence Weeks      "Audaces fortuna juvat."      dev@anabasis.net