Sticky Clutch Damnitt

? ?" <grailer@yifan.net
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:37:16 -0500

"The Walrus" <walrusx4@maine.rr.com> wrote:

  > It's tacky enough that it's difficult to shift quickly. do
  > I have to rip the tranny off and start replacing clutch stuff
  > or what?!?!

Is the problem with the clutch (pedal) or the shifter? I'm sort of unclear
because of the 'shift quickly' statement. If the problem is with the clutch,
start with the least expensive possible fixes first. I'd try cleaning & lubing
the pedal pivot, clutch arm on the tranny, etc. - basically, any external moving
part you can get to easily. If that doesn't work, I'd replace the clutch cable,
since that's inexpensive and also external. If all this doesn't work, then you
may be looking at getting into the tranny and replacing the throw-out bearing,
which, depending on how many miles you have, is an excellent time to replace the
clutch (and put on a lightweight flywheel, maybe upgrade the LSD, etc. <g>).

Carson M. Hanrahan                        '91 Classic w/the usual stuff
"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss