TPS not reading 4 volts at WOT with JWT ECU

Raymond A. Kawski sr20de@epix.net
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:57:16 -0500

Jim Wright wrote:

> Basically what it sounds like is that the stock '98 ECU puts out
  more power to the sensors than what was required in '96 models.
  Short of reducing the load (as you've done), the only workaround
  I can easily see would be an independent 5v power supply to keep
> things juiced up.

Not really.  It seems that the sensor in the rear for some reason
is drawing down power.  The pins that feed it are not used on
the 96 ECU.  Apparently they do go somewhere and cause problems
with the TPS.  As for the 5V power supply apparently the TPS
supply voltage is a super accurate thing and should not deviate
from like 5.22 volts.  That is one of the reasons we found
the problem because I had a low TPS voltage too.

> disconnected is going to throw anything off as a result?
 I have to assume that this is just something emissions
 related and will set off some warning if your gas cap isn't
> on right?

Not having my 98 FSM nearby I can't give you the exact
info but yes some sort of emissions BS.  Since he and I are
running a 96 ECU which didn't have a gas tank pressure sensor
you went get any warning.

RK