First Race Experience

Matt frozen@vianet.ca
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 00:10:15 -0500

Well, tonight I had my first "race" experience, I guess you could say... Me
and a friend we're cruising in my (*dad's*) '02 SE-R... We stopped at a
light, then it turned green and a Subaru Legacy GT wen't past us in the
other lane, and sped up... Not to be outdone, I sped up, passed him, and
changed lanes in front of him to let him know I was interested.

Now I've seen some "races" done on this stretch of highway before, but have
never participated, although I've followed close behind just to have a good
view.

Anyways, at the first light, we we're almost neck and neck (me leading)
until he passed me just a little, and then we stopped at the next light. At
this one, I beat him but we never had a chance to speed up anyways, since
the next light wasn't far. The third (and final) light was we're we really
shined. Off the light, he was keeping up, but after a few seconds, we
overtook him and there was no coming back... Even being on the outside of a
wide turn he fell way behind. After we stopped at the next light he just
turned off, which was just as well because no one in their right mind would
dare drag any further than that on this highway, with cops and all.
Anyways, I'm relatively proud, just because it was my first time, and I
never thought it would get my adrenaline pumping the way it did...

Actually, we had just left my friends place after a little jam session with
our band, so we had 2 amp's (total 115 lbs), 3 guitars, plus my friend who
is about 140lbs... Running in a stock SE-R. I just decided to take the long
way, joking with my friend; "Let's go drag", not expecting to find
anything, but it added to the exicetement. I'm ashamed to say that my car
is an automatic (I'm sorry God! But it's my dads car :I ). I just did a
little check on the Subaru, and it's also 165hp, but has lower torque
rating. Anyways, the guy was alone, and seemed to be in his low 40's, for
what it's worth. I guess I'm just a young'n, being 17, but I guess it's the
time to get into cars, while I still have alot of time to learn. Anyways,
can't wait to tell my dad about it tomorrow morning ;)