one observation and question about oil filters

Jim Wright wrightj@apple.com
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:04:05 -0500

On Monday, August 19, 2002, at 10:13 AM, Bruce_Hearn@cd-tech.com wrote:

> Maybe yes, maybe no.  Oil filtration depends on AREA of the filter
> medium,
> usually paper.  The medium is folded into pleats and rolled into a
> tube shape
> before being encased in the filter housing.  More paper can be fitted
> into a
> given diameter tube my creating more pleats.  So, by manipulating
> pleating, you
> can get the same filtration in a smaller package.

> Now, as to if that's the case with the K&N filter, I have no idea.
> There are
> several Web pages with filter disembowelment comparisons including one
> performed
> at a Houston Geekout.  You'll need to buy a spare K&N filter to cut
> apart and
> compare to a known filter, like Fram or Nissan.

Another important factor is how small of a particle will the filter
trap?  If you look around you'll see several brands that advertise
'micronic filtration' or something similar.

According to the K&N web site (http://www.knfilters.com/oilfilter.htm),
the K&N filter will trap particles as small as 10 microns, pretty
darned small.

The filter I generally run is the Purolator Pure One
(http://www.pureoil.com), which also traps particles down to this size.

The SAE Test J1858 is probably the best 'standard' for rating filter
efficiency, as it tests multiple passes through the filter, rating the
particle sizes trapped over a given period of time.

Also, the Houston guys ripped into some filters a while back and had a
web page up with all sorts of disassembly info, but the web page that
was created is no longer online, as far as I can tell.  If anyone knows
a working URL to that site, please post it.