READ THIS

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 12:19:44 -0500

Kevin J. Hart wrote:

>I will second that one.  Cause this list is the ONLY place on the net with
>ANY info for us few auto owners.  Yea we are the redheaded step childern
>of the community but we are still are members.

I'll come back to this one..... :-)

>IMHO if you know the answer, why not say it instead of saying, "i answered
>it before find it please".

While I have to agree with much of what has been said good and bad about
the list.  Hell I'm guilty of some (or maybe much) of the bad (but trying
to reform).  But I will take *some* issue with the above statement.  And
perhaps it is just a situation of helping others to understand...

I definitely have been guilty of telling people I've answered something
before and suggested an archive search.  One reason I've done this is
because I know I had covered something in the past in great detail and
either didn't have the time to rehash it, or couldn't remember all of the
details well enough off my head.  I've tried very hard not to be rude or
short about it though.  But here is the deal....  I no longer have the time
to look things up for other people.  The only other response from me would
be to ignore the question.  I won't apologize for that.  I have my own
learning to do about my 944.  I am a newbie there and I assure you that I
would prefer someone pointing me to previously documented information than
simply ignoring my questions.

I hope this sheds some new light on this practice by me and I'm sure
others.  Those who are capable of answering a question where someone
responds this way, and thinks the response isn't appropriate *should* speak
up and answer the question.  I've done that before.  I've seen people sent
to the archives, but had that answer and the time and wrote out the answer.

Sending people to the archives is definitely done too much.  But there are
some good and valid reasons to do so beyond not taking up list space and time.

>Should it go, no.  Why?  Because it allows the community to stick
>together. Without it we would end up being atleast 3
>factions.  sr20deforum  vs b15forum  vs   nissanforums.

Geez....  You think you slushbox drivers are dissed and the redheaded
stepchildren?  What about the G20 forum? ;-)  (I'm just playing with Kevin
here, so don't anyone be over sensitive please)

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>