Tranny rebuild (was Atypical gearlube question)

Rick Warkentien sr20de@sunflower.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 22:45:50 -0500

My questions stem from reading and re-reading the FSM in the tranny section.
Now keep in mind i am an ASE certified monkey, but a homebound (no shop or
shop tools) monkey none the less.
I am putting a gearset out of a B14 LSD (bought used with a cracked case)
into a B13 case (fifth gear popout and bad synchros from Mobil 1 gear lube).

On page MT-46 of my FSM (1992) it shows a spec and adjustment for the
mainshaft and gear bearing legth with looks like two spacers to give the
correct length. Do you think i should go buy all these spacers to have them
on hand to verify length or has it been your experience that one or other of
the two bearing spacers should provide the proper length on the shaft?

My major concern is the play or clearance in the shaft(s) to case area. I
don't want to screw anything up putting this together cause i don't really
wanna take it apart again. I have some time yet before i will be doing this
so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rick Warkentien
Lusting after highway speeds again. (sick of the back roads)
92 SE-R sans front bumper cover and fifth gear.