Don't Hate Me...

LDMartin LDMartin" <LDMartin@email.msn.com
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:30:52 -0500

hlava wrote:
> I found some Trisynthetic Mobil 1 (5-30) at the local Walmart for $4.04 a
> quart. Started to buy 5 quarts, then something niggled in my brain.

You'll only need four quarts (and use 3 1/2 of that) unless you just want an
extra quart for a spare.

> people having trouble with oil leaks when switching from dino to a full
syn
> on a high mileage car.

That seal story goes all the way back to the mid 70's and there was indeed
some truth to it initially.  It is not a concern for anything from 80's
models onward.  PAO based synthetics *do* seek any possible "void" but it's
not going to do any damage to your seals.  So, if it does somehow find a way
out you can switch back if it bugs you.

For myself I just believe that the benefits of synthetic outweigh by far any
drawbacks.

Larry Martin
'92 SE-R  ~150K miles, bought new, used every imaginable type of oil,
no leaks, no where (including neutral and reverse switches).