Interesting new (to me) valve technology

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:12:54 -0500

BiH wrote:

>It's piston size and stroke more than valve design that determines redline.

Is that right?  I always thought valvetrain harmonics were more of an
issue.  The only reason we have 18,000 rpm F1 car engines is because of the
pneumatic valves.

>"Lead-free gasoline requires the use of long-stroke, relatively low
>compression engines in order to function properly without fuel additives."

It truly is amazing what some people will claim.  Perhaps they sell the
Tornado as well.

>A rotary valve system has been used for years on Rotax-powered dirtbikes
>and snowmobiles, but that engine is two-stroke.

Yep.  Lots o' kart racing engines as well.

And now for something completely different.....

Check this out.... rotary or barrell valve throttle bodies. :-)

http://www.jmengines.com/throttle.htm

George Roffe