Interesting new (to me) valve technology

Bruce_Hearn@cd-tech.com Bruce_Hearn@cd-tech.com
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 11:57:38 -0500

"The spherical rotary valve assembly virtually eliminates engine friction and
pumping losses"

Horse manure.  Pumping losses are inherent in a piston engine.  Valve assemblies
are not the significant friction source in an engine, so their elimination won't
gain much.  Besides, you're only swapping friction on the cam for friction of
the rotating valves on their seals

"The comparative efficiencies of the spherical rotary valve combustion engine
have enabled engine speeds of 14,850 RPMs."

Uh, gee, a little more detail on that engine, please.  That's not a high redline
for small four-strokes.  Suzuki GSXR-750 has a redline that high.  Smaller
engines regularly turn 17k rpm.  It's piston size and stroke more than valve
design that determines redline.

"Lead-free gasoline requires the use of long-stroke, relatively low compression
engines in order to function properly without fuel additives."

Absolutely false.  SR20DE is a low-compression long-stroke engine?  It doesn't
function properly?

"In addition, valves in high compression engines cannot open before top dead
center. If they do, they will make contact with the piston and engine
destruction occurs."

Sigh.  This is getting boring.  Again, absolutely wrong.  These guys have never
heard of valve reliefs?

Now that my critiques are out of the way, I'd like to see more information on
this.   A rotary valve system has been used for years on Rotax-powered dirtbikes
and snowmobiles, but that engine is two-stroke.  Other than some sleeve-valve
designs pre-dating World War 2, I know of no four-stroke inlet designs that
DON'T use poppet valves.

Bruce in Houston with a never-sleeping critical eye.