brake shims

nittany@charm.net nittany@charm.net
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 19:08:59 -0500

Hi all,

I have been lurking here for awhile and knew this would be the place to ask
my question.  I found some help in the archives but no final answer.

I have a 1998 200SX SE-R.  Right now I am in the middle of changing the
front brake pads.  When I took the first brake apart, I noticed there was
no shim on the inner or the outer bad.  I checked the other side, same
thing, no shims.

I am following the haynes manual and it says that there should be shims,
but that book is very generalized.  Also, there were shims on the back
brake pads when I changed them a few months ago.  This is my first time
doing the front brakes.  Shouldn't there be shims?  I called a couple auto
part stores and they have no listing for them.  Should they? Do I have to
get them from Nissan?

My hunch is telling me that this is why they are squeaking when I first tap
the brakes and then it goes away with some more pressure.

Thanks in advance.
dave