Grounded Knock Sensor (QR25)

Kurt L. Sussman kls@merlot.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 02:06:37 -0500

Louis Rosanova (lrosanova@rogers.com) typed this ...
> Nissan doesnt own Subaru.  Though at one point Nissan owned part of Fuji
> Heavy Industry which owned Subaru.  But I believe Nissan sold its stake in
> Fuji Heavy Industries and also many other industries that it had part
> ownership in once Renualt bought 34% Nissan, which is a enough to take
> control of the company.  Currently Renault owns 44% of Nissan and Nissan
> owns 15% of Renault.

OK, that makes sense. I've noticed, though, that the window control
switches are still identical between the Nissans I've seen and the
Subarus. Along with a lot of the dash switches. I haven't looked much
deeper, but I remember hearing that part of the way Nissan helped Subaru
return to profitability was by getting Subaru deep discounts on lots of
components by getting them to spec the same parts that Nissan was
already using.

So back to the original topic, it might be worth remembering the
problems Subaru had with knock sensors a few years ago when discussing
the QR25's knock sensor problem.

Even if they don't share the same part, they may still share the same
supplier. And that supplier has already demonstrated that it's possible
to build a hypersensitive knock sensor.

--Kurt