VW Recaros mounted in SE-R Classic

Andrew andrew90s02@yahoo.com
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 18:31:45 -0500

Just got done with the "beta" install of a VW GTI Recaro (grey velour) driver's
seat into my SE-R classic.  I thought it was going to be a real pain to
install, because these recaros are a 3-point attachment (2 in back, one in
front).  I was thinking I'd need some custom brackets made, and even some
welding, but amazingly enough, I managed to do it with just some ordinary
hardware.  With with a metal strap (long metal strip with holes drilled in to
it) and some nuts and bolts, I was able to bolt up the rear seat brackets to
the stock frame mounting holes, and the front bracket, I've temorarily got held
down with a ordinary U-bracket which loops around the front frame mounting
bolt.

Now, the downside: The seat's not adjustable, front-to-back.  But again, I
lucked out, and the fixed position was just fine, perhaps a little too forward,
but certainly OK.  (If you're thinking if you'd fit with this setup, I'm 6'2"
but I've got somewhat short legs, perhaps a 33 inseam).  Another drawback--I
only realized this when I got in for a test drive, that the seatbelt buckle is
attached directly to the stock seat.  So for now, I've buckled in to the
passenger's side.  Also, the seats might not be quite as securely fastened as
the stock ones, but they're pretty damn good.

The ride:  These seats rock.  They're much firmer, and the've got much more
substantial side bolsters than the stock ones.  The seat's a bit narrower, so
you are really "hugged" when you go thru turns.  It's also longer, so you get a
lot more thigh support.  Headroom is a bit tight: I've got a sunroof, and if I
were another inch taller or so, I'd be scraping the headliner.  You should be
OK, as long as you're not above 6'3" or so.

The look: I've got a grey/dark blue interior, and these grey seats blend in so
well, it's almost like they were designed for the SE-R.  I don't have a digital
camera, but eventually I'll try to get some pictures up on the web.

-Andrew
'93 SE-Recaroed