Grounded Knock Sensor (QR25)

Jay Stewart jay@nx2k.com
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 12:44:44 -0500

>I have seen a lot of people post about this, but is it really a good
idea?

I wouldn't do it. Even DSM guys who are black box monkeys won't do this.
Ghetto.

>The knock sensor does exactly that; sense knock.

The knock sensor does not sense knock. It is merely a microphone so that
the ECU can listen to the engine closely. The ECU takes care of knock
detection with built in analyzing code.

>This can't be good for rod longevity.

Knock will hurt the tops of the pistons, and specifically the rings and
ring lands in low tension ring setups such as these. Rod bearings can
take a beating over time, but rods be harmed long after the pistons,
plug electrodes and rod bearings are gone.

If you do this mod, you better be damn sure you know how to read plugs.
I predict it won't be long before someone f's up an engine this way.
Monkey see, monkey do, monkey get expensive engine rebuild. Don't be a
monkey.

-Jay