A really old fart returns

Rick Warkentien sr20de@sunflower.com
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:57:39 -0500

Steven Walker said:

>  I was on the list several years ago - for about a year after I bought my
96
> G20 5 Spd. ( silver )

I haven't been here that long.... But i may be able to help.

> BUT - I have a much more pressing problem. I  failed my CA smog test a few
> weeks ago. Only one component, the unburnt hydrocarbons, were a little
high
> - by about 20 %.

> I called Infiniti. They asked if I had had my 60,000 K service done. I had
> not. They suggested that I do this, especially since I do a lot of city
> driving - that my plugs might be fouled.

> Well - I decided to change the plugs only, as I want to do a bunch of
stuff
> including the clutch - front brakes - and change all the belts along with
> the normal 60,000 K stuff all at once. I did not change the cap or rotor.

> My car failed the test again today - NO improvement ! ( but still only
about
> 20% to high on unburnt Hydros )

> Any guesses ? I do not know if my cap and rotor were changed when I had
> Infiniti do the 30,000 K service a couple years ago.

Well a good tune up can't hurt you any. I think the main focus of your tune
up should be an oxygen sensor replacement. From my personal experience (list
based and personal experience) the O2 sensor on our cars can deteriorate
over time causing a rich condition which will lead to unburned Hydrocarbons
in the exhaust. Get an OEM set of wires, a fuel filter, and an OEM cap and
rotor. You may also want to check your timing. Sometimes it helps to back
the timing off a little bit if you are in a pinch to pass emissions.

> Have any of you guys tried these special additives like 'Bardahl All in
One'
> which help your car pass a smog test ?

Personally I am not a believer in the "Cure in a bottle" be it an oil
additive, a gas additive or whatever else. Generally sniffer tests such as
an emissions test are a pretty good indicator of the state of tune of a
vehicle. In this case you have something wrong that is cuasing unburned fuel
to dump in your exhaust. Once again, Check the O2 sensor. If you go back to
the dealer and ask them, they *should* have records of what was done at the
30K mile service you can look at.

Sorry about the length people.....
Just want to try and help a little.
And i am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. If i am wrong please
forgive me for spreading misinformation.

Rick Warkentien
Loves his new O2 sensor and the added gas mileage.