Water pump replacement question

Rick Warkentien sr20de@sunflower.com
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:44:38 -0500

Wayne Cox wrote:

> Question for anyone that's ever yanked an engine or replaced a water
> pump:  I'd like to replace my water pump (just for preventive maintenance)
> and right now I still have the tranny out for a clutch replacement.

> Would it be worth the effort to try to do the pump at this time?  I was
> considering releasing the one remaining motor mount and sliding the engine
> over a few inches, and maybe having a lot easier job of the pump
> replacement.  Was gonna replace radiator hoses, so I can pull those
> out.  How much other shit has to come loose to move the engine that
> much?  And would it be all that helpful?
>    -Thanks,    Wayne

WEll I can tell ya three things for sure about replacing a water pump. I
just got done doing one on my GF's NX2k not to long ago......

#1) It is almost impossible to get to all the bolts required if you have the
front (pass side) mount in place.

#2) Life is a lot easier if you pull the crank pulley off as well. I had to
do a front main seal on her NX at the same time i did the pump. Glad i did.
Freed up a lot of room.

#3) Getting the engine back onto the front (pass side) mount without any of
the other mounts in place can be a real bear. Granted when i did it we
didn't have an engine hoist. We were using floor jacks only.

I think it would be to your advantage to do the water pump with the tranny
out since it will give you a lot more room to work with. Also if you haven't
already done so change the front main seal while you are in there. it is
well worth the time and effort to pull the crank pulley off and slap a new
one in there.

Go for it and let us know how it goes.
Rick Warkentien
Knows what its like to stand in an NX2k engine compartment with the engine
in place.....
And Pics to prove it.