Tools

Eric Seppanen eds@reric.net
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:47:51 -0500

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 10:50:48PM -0500, David Pertuz wrote:
> >While I agree that cordless impact wrenches are quite cool,
> >unless you have the need (like Eric does) to change tires
> >in the absolute minimum time in the middle of the worst

> If the Snap-On cordless electric impact is as good as reputed per the
> earlier message, I'd probably get that over somebody else's corded one.
> Years ago Jay Stewart and I hammered away for ever and ever and ever using
> his corded electric impact (this was before he got air) on one of my front
> lower strut bolts and the little sucker never budged. (I eventually got it
> off with a breaker bar and a 6-foot cheater.) I was thinking at the time,
> "electric sucks."

I never meant to imply that the Snap-On cordless impact would do
everything.  I'm sure it doesn't have enough torque to break loose rusty
suspension bolts.  I fall back on the air-powered one with twice the
torque, or a 3" pipe on a breaker bar.  But the cordless has 160 ft-lbs of
torque, enough to be impressive for a cordless tool, and probably enough
for 95% of jobs.

I own the 14.4V Snap-On model, that lists for $400.  And to be honest,
I doubt it's worthwhile for all but the most dedicated garage mechanics at
that price.  I bought mine used for $150, and at that price it's an
awesome deal.

Hint: Snap-On dealers take lots of trade-ins.  Get to know your local
Snap-On dealer and you can bag lots of like-new trade in tools for half
price.  Another hint: Snap-On recently came out with an 18 volt cordless
impact (insert Tim Allen grunting) and lots of pro mechanics are trading
in their 14.4 on a new 18 volt model...

Let's not even get into the amount of stuff Snap-On dealers take back
because the credit bill wasn't getting paid...