Super screwed suspension!

JOSH GARY ewraven@hotmail.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:26:56 -0500

To: se-r@lists.deskmedia.com
From: Anthony Gee <agee@ucla.edu>
Subject: Super screwed suspension!
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 20:18:06 -0500

I was trying to reduce 'clunking' with my AGX/GC's and in doing so might
have stripped the thread on the shock shaft (rear shock on the AGX) for my
'98 SE-R. Is there anything that can help repair it? The stock bolt is a
waste, I went to Nissan to pick up a new one, and the guy at the counter
said my shock shaft is also stripped as well (you can kind of see the
grooves and feel them, but they are not definitely as good as new)... whats
the best way to solve this dilemma???? My car is immobile as of now, help
is very much appreciated, ASAP!

Thanks,
Anthony
agee@ucla.edu

I've forgotten what they are called.  But, anyways; you should be able to
rethread the remainder of the shaft and install another nut on it.  There
are certain tools for that and they do have them at autoparts stores.  I
think it's called a Tap and Die set?  The new nut you install on it will
most likely have to be smaller and that means the shaft will be narrower and
will not be as strong(I'm thinking aloud).  So, I don't know how good of a
long term fix it would be.

Well, that is what I'd do if I were faced with that situation.

Good Luck!