Tools

? ?" <grailer@yifan.net
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:09:25 -0500

"Brian Cembor" <bcembor@fastenal.com> wrote:

  > ...as it is lifetime so what? So basically why spend more
  > money on a Snap-On or Matco set if you can get the same
  > thing cheaper?

Not meaning to be picky here Brian, but there's definitely a difference between
Snap-On/Matco/MAC/Facom and Husky/Craftsman/NAPA/no-name brands. They're just
not the same thing - the 'higher-end' tools fit better, work better, are less
prone to breakage, etc. I've removed nuts with a MAC socket that I stripped with
a Craftsman. I've extracted screws with a Snap-On screwdriver that I stripped
with a Craftsman.

Now, are they worth the heavy premium? For the average handyman/shadetree
mechanic, I doubt it. However, use one of those tools and you'll feel the
difference immediately. Look in (most) any professional mechanic's bay and
you'll see those high-end brands. Remember, mechanics buy those tools themselves
with their own hard-earned cash. There's a reason they spend the extra money...
Anyway, that's my $0.02 and experience.

Carson M. Hanrahan                        '91 Classic w/the usual stuff
"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss