Web Boards (was Re: t25 in the 12s)

Ben Davis bendavis@sr20deforum.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:36:47 -0500

> Every time I get on *ANY* web board I have to read thru a ton
> of useless posts.

Same thing with me everyday on this list. Ooh, ooh, I got new email! Someone
from the list asking about Hotshot headers, hmmm, don't care about that...
DELETE. Ooh, ooh, another email! Someone bashing someone else... DELETE.

Let's go to sr20deforum.com. Let's see, I want to see if there are any meets
in the Midwest soon... CLICK Midwest forum. Here's one "wednesday july 17th
(NE ohio people)" and another "july 20th all nissan meet." That was easy.
Ok, now I want to read all about the SR20VE... CLICK SR20VE forum. Maybe I
want to ask a specific question about suspension tuning as it relates to
autocrossing... CLICK Autocross, Rally, Road, and Drag Racing forum. I can
pick and choose what areas I want to read or post about as opposed to
looking through every single post to see if it is of interest to me. BIG
advantage to filtering out stuff you don't care to spend time reading.

>  And you have to scroll thru everything in a
> thread.  Besides the fact everyone loves to post a *HUGE* picture
> of their dumb car.  Sure thanks.  Then they reply ten times to the
> same thread and I have to see their ugly picture 10 times.

At least you are scrolling though the actual topic you are interested in
specifically and not ALL the posts.

> The amount of useless banter on boards is considerably higher as
> is the amount of people on their who like stickers 10' wings and
> other stuff.  This list can not be compared at all.  It all
> comes down to the fact that it *EASY* for people to subscribe
> to the web boards and not as easy to join this list.  That
> alone keeps some of the ricers out of here.

Maybe you are thinking of b15sentra.net or ClubSi.com. sr20deforum.com is
SOOOO much more technical and performance oriented. It's plainly obvious to
anyone who has visited my forums.

If you HATE rice so much, telling them to go somewhere else isn't going to
help the situation. Educating some of these folks that 10' wings do NOT help
performance is what helps "stop rice." Barring them from the communication
channel will do nothing but create more hate and misunderstanding.

> > to seeing ALL the posts, having to look through ALL of them to
> > see if any of them are of interest to you.

> That can easily be done by *ANY* worthwhile email client.  And
> yes some are even FREE.

I suppose you are talking about some type of filter. Please explain how you
would do this easily and effectively. The only thing I could think of would
be to filter out words on Subject lines or in the body of the message.
Without more education on how you do it, I don't think this would be an easy
thing to set up, nor would it be perfectly effective. The time it would take
to think of "hmm, what words should I filter?" and setting up the filter for
those many many words is so much more time consuming than say clicking on
the Turbo forum and looking down the posts.

Also, I'd say the thread titles on the forums are much closer to the actual
discussion of the post than the subject line of a message on the list, IMO.

Ben Davis
being called to defend his medium