Oh Joy... More car troubles (clutch)

Chris Scarpulla sr20de@optonline.net
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 23:08:14 -0500

> >So - what is that late model clutch disk that is the hot setup to
order
> >now a days?  A 2000 model or sumpthin'?

> Yep.

> Or, a key value clutch kit is (or at least was) $99 or so from
Courtesy.

> George Roffe

List on the Key Value kit is $125 now, but my advice is to stay away
from it. I bought one, it was defective and I returned it to the local
Nissan dealer. After I bought mine, I found a few people on the Forum
who had bad experiences with them. I know it worked well for you George,
and my occurrence is certainly not indicative of a bad product, just
sharing my experience.

The current 'hot' setup is the late model disc, with a JWT Pressure
Plate. The JWT is incredibly light (lighter than the clutch in my 2001
1.8t Jetta), and has (IIRC) 30% higher clamping force. The downside is,
its $225, and if you're not in the market for a high-po clutch, it may
not be for you.

A 2001 disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and 2 throwout bearing
clips should cost around $180 at Courtesy or Mossy. Don't forget a pilot
tool, 4 quarts of GL-4, and both axle seals, maybe a new clutch cable
while you're at it too!

Cheers,
Chris