Oil Consumption

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:54:43 -0500

At 01:24 PM 7/11/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>How hard is it to replace the valve guides? My father suggested that this
>might be the culprit as well. I had a mishap about a month ago where I

Major PITA.  You have to pull the cylinder head off the engine.  Then pay a
machine shop for a full rebuild plus new guides (they're a bitch of a job
even after the head is off.)  Years ago I too had an over-rev, lost some
rockers, and ended up with a leaking valve seat that prompted me to do a
rebuild.  The guides on one side of the head, intake IIRC, wear a
lot.  Mine had a lot of slop at 70K miles.

Dad may have actually suggested valve stem seals.  These go over the top of
the valve guides to keep oil in the head out of the ports.  That can be
done with the valve cover and cams removed.
   -WC