first autocross

Justin De Witt justin_d@ev1.net
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 20:29:04 -0500

Well, I finally had a weekend where it wasn't raining, the car was running
good and we weren't going out of town to see the in-laws, so I got to do my
first auto-x on Sunday.

I went to the Spokes event at Tech-Ridge, which is really convenient for us
Austin people, but since it's the old runway strip, it's not the most
wide-open place to race.  Anyway I had a blast!  Let me just say, if any of
you have never autocrossed your SE-R before, you're really missing out...
My 93 is bone stock with advanced timing, some Potenza RE70's with very
little tread on them and I was still amazed at what my car could do.  I
think I've got original shocks too, and she was insanely tossable.

My first run was with the Novice Coordinator, (great guy by the way) and he
definately told me what I was doing wrong.  Second run was 2 seconds faster,
and for the 3rd I actually took my wife along as a passenger and it turned
out to be my best time; 75.250!

I ended up coming in 8th place for Novice GStock out of 33 entries so I'm
really pleased for my first time out.  I ended up beating an S4, S2000, and
an Audi TT.  But the best part is I didn't hit a single cone and never
DNF'd!  Woo-hoo!  What a blast, the only bad part was the heat.  I didn't
know I could sweat that much and not die... I may skip the August one since
it's gonna be hot, but I will definately be back!

Justin
93 SuperBlack Classic...now officially broken in.