Problem idling while coasting

Peter Jackson jacksopc@earthlink.net
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 02:09:40 -0500

Donovan Maxwell wrote:
> I'm having a problem with my GA16. Anytime I push in
> the clutch and leave the shifter in gear, my engine
> idles around 1500-1600 RPM. Problem goes away as soon
> as I take the shifter out of gear and let the clutch
> go up.

The tranny has a neutral position switch that lets the ecu know when you
are in gear. While in gear, the idle will be higher by design. The ecu
wants a few extra rpm headstart for when you step on the gas.:)

When out of gear, the ecu doesn't expect you to go anywhere so it runs
at base idle.

> The o2 sensor is a cheapy Autostoned sensor.
> I'm about ready to go get my refund on it and get and
> OEM sensor.

If it is a Bosch sensor, it is an OEM sensor. Bosch makes sensors for
Nissan. The sensor I got from Autozone even had the Nissan =o= symbol on
it. The only difference was price.

> The
> sooner I can get these little problems worked out the
> sooner I can start modding more and whoopin up...

All solved except for that Fram filter, now go put that new Hotshot
turbo kit on and have fun.:)

Peter J
96 SE-R