Starters

Brian Cembor bcembor@fastenal.com
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 14:00:12 -0500

Here is an answer from a friend who does this for a living:

       Dead starter. It could be the brushes, the solenoid, the armature, or
the field coil if it is an older direct drive style. Newer gear reduction
type units have permanent magnet fields which don't go bad unless someone
hammers on the starter trying to "unstick" it and cracks the magnets. If the
brushes are bad chances are the commutator ( the part of the armature that
the brushes ride on ) needs to be turned, polished and undercut also. If one
of the windings is shorted out in the armature then it needs to be rewound
or replaced. I suggest he take it to a local independent rebuilder for help
and tell them that Chris at Holcombe Armature sent him.
       As far as a Mitsubishi starter fitting a Hitachi application I have
no cross reference for that.

Brian
'92 SE-R
slightly bent