Blown head gasket question

Tom Paule tapaule@yahoo.com
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 00:39:17 -0500

First and foremost make sure you indeed have a blown
head gasket! I too assumed that Roberts head gasket
had been diagnosed as blown, but make sure before
having the engine swapped or head gasket replaced. I
think in his second post Robert mentioned that he
never saw the car actually get hot only that what
appeared to be a little oil-like residue had appeared
in his coolant.

There's a test the dealer can do for traces of
combustion gasses in the coolant (Mike Jez - chime in
here, what is this test called?) that will tell you if
you've got even the slightest head gasket leak. Unless
your cooling system is pumping up like a balloon or
there's water and steam coming out of your exhaust,
I'd get that test and/or a compression test done.

If you lived in LA, there's a bunch of SE-R guys that
would do a motor swap for you as Kyle Davis' bachelor
party:-)

Tom