SNAFU

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 20:20:43 -0500

Okay, I'll just snip most of this so lists.deskmedia.com doesn't have a bird

Basically, this BPT tube issue is one that's quite frustrating, you agonize
over it, until your sick of it, and it still doesn't work.  I finally used some
clutch cable with about half the strands removed, with one end in a cheapo 18v
cordless drill chuck - but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I found using a small piece of black hose that fit tightly over the end of that
little red straw works well.  Snake the black hose down 'til it stops, squirt
until it comes out the top, repeat once or twice.

Then, get the half-stripped clutch cable in the drill chuck, at lowest speed,
highest torque setting, spin it down the bpt tube, jam it harder when it stops,
remove, re-lube with carb cleaner, and have at it again.

Take a set of cheapo picks (like dentists, but cheapo autoparts store types),
and pick out the engine end of that tube, which you can access via the bolt on
top of where the tube goes in.

Repeat the above 2 procedures until you get carb cleaner squirting through the
hole.  I replaced my EGR and BPT valves as well, figuring that after 10 years
or so, they were shot.

I also noticed after regrounding my MAF, that the surging/hesitation was more
improved by that, than clearing the EGR tube.  I might suggest that as your
next step if you haven't done so already.

Arrgh, it's 9:20p and I have to get up at 4:15a - gotta blast, I swear
persistence is the only thing that will clear that $#%&@ tube though :)

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.